A checkweigher is a machine that automatically verifies the weight of packaged goods. It is typically located at the end of a production process to ensure that the weight of the product is within predetermined limits.
Checkweighers often come equipped with additional inspection tools, such as metal detectors and X-ray machines, to examine other characteristics of the package and take appropriate action.
Typically, a checkweigher consists of a sequence of conveyor belts, including:
- An in-feed belt that can adjust the package's speed and bring it to the required speed for weighing.
- A weigh belt that is usually mounted on a weight transducer, which could be a strain-gauge load cell or a servo-balance.
- A reject belt that allows for the removal of a package that does not meet the tolerance standards from the conveyor line.
Active devices known as in-motion scales can be customized for various uses. These include determining the aggregate weight of cases at the end of a conveyor, verifying that the final package meets the predetermined weight range, and identifying missing items in an order by measuring the case weight while in motion.
Checkweighers can also calculate the combined weight of all boxes that are being palletized as part of a shipment, in addition to reading the weight and dimensions of each package. The controlling computer can then generate a bar-coded shipping label with relevant data such as weight, cubic dimensions, destination address, and other essential details for easy identification.
During the receiving process, a corresponding checkweigher reads the label and can easily detect if the shipment is complete. The user is notified if any boxes or items have
been lost in transit.
Benefits of an In-Motion Sensor
Checkweighers are an essential tool for ensuring that packaged products meet specific weight requirements. They offer a range of benefits, including:
- Quality Control: By verifying the weight of each package, checkweighers help maintain consistency and quality of the product, reducing the risk of underweight or overweight packages.
- Compliance: Checkweighers help ensure that packaged products comply with legal requirements and regulations.
- Cost Savings: Accurate weight verification can prevent overfilling, reducing material costs and avoiding fines for overweight packages.
- Efficiency: Automated checkweighers can increase production efficiency, reducing labor costs and minimizing downtime.
- Versatility: Checkweighers can be customized for a variety of applications, such as detecting missing items or verifying the weight of products in motion.
Overall, investing in a checkweigher can provide significant benefits for a wide range of industries, from food and beverage to pharmaceuticals and logistics.
Why LD Systems?
Customers rely on LD Systems because we are the best. Terms like ROI, Data Analysis, and Optimization are what we live every day.
Our integrated solutions are among the industry’s most trusted because we tackle each distribution center optimization project through a comprehensive discovery process that includes analyzing data, price points and anticipated return on investment. It’s only then our team begins to develop the perfect layout with flexibility and scalability.
With a combined 50 years of material handling integration experience, we are the experts at maximizing efficiency and moving goods expeditiously from order to door. LD Systems is your logical choice!
Contact Us to learn more about In-Motion Sensors or other sortation equipment.